Hindi Songs Related to Spring Vasant Basant Season
As a child of India’s wide landscape, I have always felt close to the changes of nature. Born in Uttar Pradesh, my childhood moved with my father’s postings as an Indian Air Force officer. From the hills of Himachal to the plains of Rajasthan, I saw different parts of India and their seasons—cold winters, hot summers, mild autumns, and the soft arrival of spring. Spring has always been special to me. It once filled my days with colour and hope. Now I often ask myself: where has that spring gone, and why does it feel so far away?
A Child’s Love for Nature
From early days I loved the mountains, rivers, valleys and trees. The weather was my playground. In winter my brothers, sisters and I made snowmen in the Himalayan cold and laughed in the valleys. When spring came, it felt like the earth asked us to join in. We walked into forests, picked wildflowers and leaves, and filled our pockets with them. In school we wore yellow kurtas and sarees for Basant Panchami to honour Maa Saraswati. The air filled with kite-flying and the smell of marigolds.
Spring was more than a season—it was a feeling. Mustard fields turned golden, mango trees promised fruit, and the cuckoo’s call woke the morning. I sat under a neem tree, watched clouds move across the blue sky, and felt happy just being outside. Those clear memories stay with me.
The Fading Footsteps of Spring
Standing in 2025, I feel a quiet loss. The spring of my childhood seems to have slipped away. When winter softens and sunlight comes through my window, I remember Percy Bysshe Shelley’s words: “O Wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?” There is hope that spring is near, yet its arrival feels weaker, covered by the noise of modern life. Where are the cuckoo songs, the bees, and the flowers that once marked this season?
The answer is in the concrete cities we have built. India’s fast growth has changed both the land and our daily lives. Tall buildings hide the horizon, and air conditioners run where open breezes once moved. Global warming has changed weather patterns and made the seasons less clear. The mustard fields I ran through are now cut by roads, and mango groves have become housing areas. Our homes, closed behind glass and steel, keep us from nature’s warmth and also from its simple joy.
A Culture Moving Away from Nature
This gap is not only physical—it is also in our feelings. Growing up, I saw spring as a time for people to come together. In Uttar Pradesh we played Holi under flowering trees, laughing and throwing colours. In Assam I watched Bihu dances that welcomed the new season. These customs kept us close to the earth. Today many of us are too busy with phones to notice the mild spring breeze. The soft sunshine waits outside while we stay indoors in artificial cool air.
This change shows a wider loss. Progress has brought many good things, but it has also taken something away. Children no longer chase butterflies or make garlands from fallen flowers. The cuckoo’s call is lost in traffic noise, and the small joy of seeing a new bud is replaced by phone alerts. Even festivals often feel more about buying things than about nature. When I walk in my neighbourhood I see neat lawns, but I miss the free and open look of a spring field.
A Wish to Bring Spring Back
This fading link with spring is not only my worry—it is a warning for our planet. The seasons are nature’s steady beat, and their quietness points to trouble. Climate change harms the land and also the stories and customs that shape us. Can we picture an India without Holi’s colours, Bihu’s dances, or the smell of spring flowers? Can we let spring become only a memory?
I do not believe it is too late. Spring is still there, waiting to be found again. I want to feel its warmth, walk through mustard fields, and hear new leaves move. I want to show my niece how to spot a koel or plant a small tree that will flower for years. Small steps—spending time outside, keeping old customs alive, and talking about the need to care for nature—can bring spring closer again.
A Call to Welcome the Spring Breeze
To everyone reading this: let us open our doors to spring. Step outside and feel the soft sun. Plant a marigold on your balcony or visit a nearby park to see the world wake up. Share your own spring memories—a kite-flying day or a picnic under a big tree. Let us keep Basant Panchami as a time to care for nature. And let us support ways to protect the land, from using less energy to helping local efforts that save green spaces.
As I write this, I look outside. It is sunny, and I feel spring is near. I can almost see the flowering branches and golden fields. Dear Spring, I hear your soft call. Wrap us in your warmth once more and let us move to your old and steady rhythm.
Songs of Basant
1. Rut Basant Aayi Ab To Saajan
Movie: Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baaje (1955)
Singers: Lata Mangeshkar, Manna Dey
Music: Vasant Desai
How it refers to the season: This classical song welcomes the coming of spring. It talks about blooming flowers, warm breezes and the longing for a loved one.
2. Aaya Basant Sakhi (Virha Ka Ant Sakhi)
Movie: Basant (1942)
Singers: Parul Ghosh, Arun Kumar
Music: Pannalal Ghosh
How it refers to the season: A song from the early days of Hindi cinema that marks spring as the end of winter loneliness. The words describe mustard fields in bloom and birds singing to greet the new season.
3. Vasant Hai Aaya Rangeela
Movie: Stree (1961)
Singers: Asha Bhosle, Mahendra Kapoor
Music: C. Ramchandra
How it refers to the season: A classical dance song that calls spring the king of seasons. It uses simple poetic lines to show nature coming into bloom and life filling with colour.
4. Aayi Aayi Basanti Bela
Movie: Angulimaal (1960)
Singers: Manna Dey, Lata Mangeshkar, Meena Kapoor
Music: Anil Biswas
How it refers to the season: Written by Bharat Vyas, this song tells of the happy arrival of the spring period. It shows people wearing yellow clothes, playing music and dancing to welcome the season.
5. Raam Kare Babua (Patjhar Aaye Basant Ritu Jaaye)
Movie: Anuraag (1972)
Singer: Kishore Kumar
Music: S. D. Burman
How it refers to the season: In this gentle song written by Anand Bakshi, Kishore Kumar uses the change of seasons—autumn coming and spring going—as a way to talk about time passing, while wishing lasting happiness for a child.
6. Aayi Jhoom Ke Basant
Movie: Upkar (1967)
Singers: Asha Bhosle, Mahendra Kapoor, Shamshad Begum
Music: Kalyanji-Anandji
How it refers to the season: A folk-style festival song about harvest and spring. It brings out the colours, joy and farming life of rural India.
7. Ketaki Gulab Juhi Champak Ban Phule
Movie: Basant Bahar (1956)
Singers: Manna Dey, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
Music: Shankar-Jaikishan
How it refers to the season: One of the best-known classical jugalbandis in Hindi films, based on Raag Basant. The words celebrate the flowers that bloom with the season.
8. Sang Basanti Ang Basanti
Movie: Raja Aur Runk (1968)
Singers: Mohammed Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar
Music: Laxmikant-Pyarelal
How it refers to the season: A classic duet about love and colour. The lyrics use the word Basanti many times to show the happy, flowering feeling of love.
No comments:
Post a Comment