City vs Village Life in India: The Joy of ₹100 Samosas
A few years ago, I visited my in-laws in a quiet village in Uttar Pradesh. Life there moves slowly, and people seem happier. On the way, the smell of a small roadside sweet shop pulled me in. I decided to buy some snacks so I would not arrive empty-handed.
For readers outside India, think of stopping at a simple roadside stall for a quick treat. Instead of burgers or fries, you get crispy samosas filled with spiced potatoes. That small stop taught me a powerful lesson about happiness that I still remember today.
Table of Contents
- A Surprising Deal at the Samosa Shop
- Sharing Samosas and Spreading Smiles
- Village vs City: A Lesson in Real Value
- Why This Story Matters to You

A Surprising Deal at the Samosa Shop
I parked my motorcycle and walked up to the shop. Seven or eight samosas were frying in hot oil. Another batch waited nearby. I asked the shopkeeper, “How much for one samosa?”
He smiled and said, “Four rupees each, sir.”
I thought I misheard. Only four rupees? That is less than five cents. In the city, one samosa usually costs 15 rupees or more. I asked again just to be sure. He repeated the same price.
I had planned to buy ten samosas for the family. But at this price, I quickly said, “Please give me twenty!”
The shopkeeper’s face lit up. He called his son, “Puttu, hurry! Make twenty more samosas!” The boy quickly started filling dough with boiled potatoes while his father fried them. Soon, twenty golden samosas were ready, wrapped in newspaper, and handed to me.
I paid with a 100-rupee note and told him to keep the change. I rode away smiling. In the city, the same samosas would have cost almost 300 rupees.
Sharing Samosas and Spreading Smiles
When I reached the house, I opened the packet. My mother-in-law looked surprised. “Why so many samosas?” she asked with a laugh.
I simply said, “I thought everyone would enjoy them.”
She smiled and decided to share. First, she gave some to the children playing outside. Their happy faces while eating were wonderful to watch. Then she shared the rest with women in nearby houses. It felt like a small celebration in the street.
Sitting there, I understood something important. In the city, I often spend 100 rupees on ice cream just for myself. The joy lasts only a few minutes. Here, the same 100 rupees created happiness for many people — the shopkeeper, my in-laws, the children, and the neighbors.
One small amount of money created a wave of smiles.
Village vs City: A Lesson in Real Value
That day showed me why village life feels different. In rural India, food like potatoes and grains is often available, but cash is limited. A 100-rupee note carries more meaning in a village than in a big city, where it feels like small change.
This difference pushes many hardworking villagers to move to cities in search of money. At the same time, many city people dream of a quieter life in villages — with muddy roads, mango trees, canals, and simple homes.
No matter how much money or success we gain in cities, true peace often comes from simple places close to nature. As an old Indian saying goes, “Mother and motherland are greater than heaven.”
Those four-rupee samosas reminded me that real happiness does not come from wealth. It comes from sharing simple moments with others.
Why This Story Matters to You
If you live in the US, UK, Canada, or anywhere else, this story offers a small window into everyday life in rural India. A simple act — buying samosas and sharing them — brought joy to an entire neighborhood.
It is similar to bringing a box of cookies to a community gathering and watching everyone smile. The difference is the warm, simple atmosphere of an Indian village, where every small kindness counts.
Sometimes the best lessons in life come from the most ordinary places — like a roadside samosa shop selling treats for just four rupees each.
No comments:
Post a Comment