Village Market Memories with My Grandmother: Simple Lessons from Rural India
We all hold special childhood memories close to our hearts. Mine come from a quiet village in Uttar Pradesh. Life there followed the slow rhythm of nature. After almost 25 years in noisy city streets, I often miss those peaceful days. Let me share one warm summer morning with my grandmother, a basket of fresh vegetables, and a village market that taught me the true value of hard work and community.
Table of Contents
- A Childhood Shaped by Village Life
- The Journey to the Village Market
- The Vibrant Village Market
- A New View from Behind the Stall
- A Simple Lesson in Hard Work
- A Call to Reconnect with Our Roots
A Childhood Shaped by Village Life
I grew up seeing many parts of India – from the hills of Himachal to the plains of Punjab. Every summer, our family returned to our ancestral village in Uttar Pradesh. Green fields stretched everywhere, and familiar faces greeted us. We owned farmland and kept two cows with their calves. Their bells rang softly at dawn.
The village woke early. People worked in the fields before the sun became too hot. By 10 or 11 in the morning, they returned home with baskets full of the day’s harvest.
As a city child, this daily rhythm fascinated me. I loved going with my grandmother to the fields. She rarely let me do heavy work, but I sat at the edge and watched. For the first time, I saw where vegetables really came from. In the city, tomatoes and coriander only appeared in neat market piles. Here, brinjals hung from plants, okra reached upward, and potatoes came straight from the soil. It felt like a special connection to the earth.
The Journey to the Village Market
One summer morning, my grandmother collected the harvest – shiny brinjals, soft okra, ripe tomatoes, potatoes, and fresh coriander. She washed and sorted everything carefully. She tied the coriander into small bundles with a damp cloth to keep it fresh. Then she filled a large wicker basket.
Usually someone tied the basket to a bicycle. That day I asked to do it. “I can do it, Dadi!” I said with excitement. I was only about 10 years old.
She looked doubtful and said in her gentle village dialect, “Arre betwa, tohse na hoe” – “Son, you may not manage.” She feared the basket might fall and spoil the vegetables she had grown with hard work. But I insisted. I used a rope the way I had seen villagers do and fixed the basket firmly.
Proud of my work, I asked, “Where are you taking these, Dadi?”
“To the market,” she replied. “It is market day.”
“Won’t we eat these ourselves?” I wondered.
She smiled and said, “Beta, our fields give us enough. We should also feed people who have no land.”
Her simple words carried deep wisdom. I wanted to ride the bicycle too. After some hesitation, she agreed. I pedaled slowly while she walked the two kilometers beside me. The basket stayed safe the whole way.
The Vibrant Village Market
We reached a bridge over a canal. The weekly market was full of life. Vendors sat on jute sacks on both sides. They were not proper shops – just small 4-by-4-foot patches of cloth or burlap covered with vegetables, greens, and grains. Bigger sacks meant better harvests. Smaller ones showed harder times.
Most people sold vegetables. A little further along the canal, some fried chaat and pakoras. The smell mixed with the sound of a blacksmith’s hammer nearby.
My grandmother found a small empty spot on the bridge. She asked me to spread the jute sack. I struggled a bit, and she laughed kindly. Then she arranged the vegetables in neat piles, sprinkled a little water, and placed her weighing scale. Our small stall was ready. I sat beside her – no longer just a visitor, but a young seller for the day.
A New View from Behind the Stall
For the first time I saw the market from the seller’s side. Some vendors bargained with customers. Others called out loudly. Shoppers checked prices and sometimes walked away. Then sellers would shout, “Le lo, sasta de denge!” – “Take it, I will give it cheap!”
Our stall stayed quiet at first. I wondered why people bought vegetables when many had their own fields. Later my grandmother explained that not everyone owned land. Some richer families gave their fields to others and bought fresh produce from the market.
As more people came, our stall became busy. I watched my grandmother talk with customers in a firm but kind way. She weighed everything carefully and checked larger notes with care – a common habit in the village. Even today, many people there still hold a ₹500 note up to the light.
By evening only a few coriander bundles remained. Everything else had sold. My grandmother said we must leave before dark. “Beta, the money we earned can be lost at night. Then all our hard work would be wasted.” Her words surprised me. I quickly packed the basket and pedaled home as the light faded.
A Simple Lesson in Hard Work
At home under a lantern, I counted the money at her request – ₹82. To my young mind it felt like a big amount. That summer I went with her to different markets many times. Each trip taught me about strength and community.
Years later I asked myself why she sold vegetables when our family was comfortable because of my father’s job. Now I understand. For her it was not only about money. It was about respecting the land, staying connected to it, and sharing what it gave. Like many village people, she lived simply and worked the fields as long as she could.
It has been more than ten years since my grandmother passed away. The fields and the market on that bridge still exist. The memory of tying the basket, riding to the market, and sitting beside her fills me with both happiness and a little sadness. Happiness for the lessons she gave me. Sadness because that simple way of life feels farther away in today’s busy cities.
A Call to Reconnect with Our Roots
This memory reminds us of an India we should not lose – an India of open fields, family bonds, and shared work. Do you have a village memory that still warms your heart? A day with your grandparents or a trip to a local market? Please share it in the comments so we can keep these stories alive.
Next time, visit a nearby market, buy from a small vendor, or plant a seed in your own space. Let us honor the spirit of our villages, where every vegetable carries a story of hard work and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment