3rd Party Advertisement

Trying to Translate Phoolabasia by Sundar Popo: A Chutney Song with Retro Disco Vibes

Trying to Translate Phoolabasia by Sundar Popo: A Chutney Song with Retro Disco Vibes

I came across the song Phoolabasia by Sundar Popo and it seemed interesting due to its beginning beats. I got the vibe of the retro disco but somehow the song also had an Indian feel. I then realised that it was a Chutney Song from Trinidad which was a mix of Indian Folk songs and African and Western musical instruments.

Sundar Popo performing Phoolabasia

The word Phoolabasia means a name of a Lady or A Lady who resides in flowers.

I tried to pay attention to the lyrics and here is what I could understand:

Hey phoolbasia baharo ghar angana
hum tum chalenge Baja pasaana...
(misheard as bajan masala)

Now, Hey phoolbasia baharo ghar angana was clear as it means: Hey Phoolabasia lady, clean the house and balcony with a broom. But after that, Hum tum chalenge: we both will go.....

I could not understand the meaning of the misheard lyrics "bajan masala" or baaja pasaana.

Then I heard:

Bartan manjo, handiya maanjo, bharte ho paniya
Bhojan banaye chale baaja pasaana

which means, wash the utensils and the pot and draw water (in a bucket or pot), cook the food...

But then again, Hum tum chalenge baaja pasaana: we both will go.....

I could not understand the meaning of the misheard lyrics "bajan masala" or baaja pasaana.

Chutney music from Trinidad

Then it said, bajan queen (misheard), tassa nacho, suno local gaana,
hindu muslim aur isaayi jeetne ko aana (misheard)

I could only understand: Listen to local song and Hindu Muslim and Christian, rest all was a mystery.

I hope someday I would be able to understand the song fully, but as of now I could understand only a few words in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment